According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, five people died in traffic crashes on Missouri roads over the long holiday weekend. Similarly, one individual died on a Missouri waterway, and numerous car accidents resulted in injuries on the busy three-day weekend.
The Highway Patrol records that the fatalties include:
- Kaitlyn Prater, of Farmington, Missouri, who passed when she was struck by a vehicle at a pedestrian cross walk;
- Buck Haynes, of Bentonville, Arkansas, who died when a vehicle rear ended his motorcycle in Washburn, Missouri on Saturday.
- Alta Rader, of Risco, Missouri, died in following a car crash Saturday, when her vehicle caught fire near Portageville, Missouri.
- Devin Scholl, of California, passed away when the ATV he was operating overturned Sunday in Perry County, Missouri.
- Augustus Dodson, of Walnut Grove, Missouri, died when his car flipped near Eudora, Missouri on Sunday.
- Oscar Shannon, of Sikeston, Missouri, passed away in a boating accident on Upper Big Lake over the weekend. Shannon lost his balance while fishing, and fell off the boat. He was not wearing a life jacket.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, there were 274 crashes investigated between Friday night and Monday night of Memorial Day Weekend 2013 in Missouri. State troopers similarly arrested 129 individuals for driving while intoxicated. Over the course of the weekend, there were seven investigated boating crashes, involving one fatality and several injuries.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family members and loved ones of all of those lost this Memorial Day weekend. If you are a family member or loved one of someone who was killed in a St. Louis wrongful death accident, we hope that while you mourn and recover, you seek counsel from a Missouri injury attorney. A compassionate, understanding injury attorney can help you to recieve compensation for your tragic loss. Call us today for free, at no obligation, at 314.409.7060.