An incredibly tragic crash occurred on new years eve when a hit-and-run driver stole the life of 20 year old Xander Wohlstadter and severley injured his girlfriend Emma Casey. Wohlstadter received a text message from his mother letting him know that his photo album had arrived in the mail and was waiting for him at her apartment. While in route to his mother’s apartment around 9:30 p.m, with only a block to go, Wohlstadter’s Mitsubishi Lancer was struck broadside at Jefferson Avenue and Chouteau in St. Louis City.
The cowardly person responsible for the crash fled the scene. Immediately after the impact, the driver who caused the crash got out of his car and ran. Luckily, he was arrested not long after by a nearby building. St. Louis police decided to release the driver the following evening while additional evidence is gathered by prosecutors.
Emma Casey was a student at Webster Groves High School and worked with Wohlstadter at Shaw’s Coffee. The crash left Casey with fractures to her skull, pelvis, and ribs. While initially requiring a ventilator, her condition is improving and it is reported she is breathing on her own. Her family has created a webpage on the website Caringbridge where updates on her condition can be found.
Tragic Start to New Year for the State of Missouri
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Wohlstadter was one of 9 people killed in traffic crashes in Missouri over the New Year Holiday. The Highway Patrol reported that from 6:00 p.m. December 31, 2014 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, January 4, 2015, there were 344 traffic crashes with 116 injuries, and 90 DWI arrests. This New Year’s Holiday proved to be one of the deadliest in recent years for the State of Missouri.
- 12/31/14: In addition to Wohlstadter of St. Louis, Missouri, 54 year old Jackie O. Cheatom of Columbia, Missouri was also killed on New Year’s Even when he was struck by two automobiles while walking across Stadium near Worley, in Columbia, MO.
- 1/1/15: New Year’s day saw the deaths of 24 year old Aaron R. Thomas of Kansas City, Missouri, 31 year old Michael L. Derousse of Park Hills, Missouri, 22 year old William E. Lyles of Troy, Missouri, and 20 year old Austin Moore of St. Charles, Missouri.
- Aaron R. Thomas was tragically killed while riding as a passenger in a vehicle that traveled off the roadway due to the driver overcorrecting. It is reported that Thomas was wearing his seatbelt when the crash occurred, but was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.
- Michael L. Derousse lost his life when his vehicle bottomed out and he lost control. He was also wearing his seatbelt, but pronounced dead at the scene by the Ste. Genevieve County EMS crew.
- William E. Lyles and Austin M. Moore were killed when Moore lost control of his vehicle while attempting to pass another vehicle in St. Charles County on Missouri Route C near Silvers Road.
- 1/3/15: The St. Joseph Police Department has reported one death from a crash in their jurisdiction, but withheld all other details at this time.
- 1/4/15: On Saturday January 4th, 19 year old Gunner W. Petty of Lawson, Missouri and 26 year old Tyson D. Lorance were both killed in car accidents.
- Gunner Petter was killed when his vehicle left the roadway and stuck a drain pipe. Petter was wearing his seatbelt, but pronounced dead at the scene near Missouri Route M near Clevenger Road in Ray County.
- Tyson Lorance of Ste. Genevieve, Missouri died when his vehicle left the roadway near a curve on Missouri Route C west of Sprott Road, in Ste. Genevieve County.
Dealing With An Incomprehensible Loss After An Accident
Our sincere and heartfelt prayers go out to the families of those wrongfully killed. The process of obtaining police reports, dealing with insurance companies, and protecting the wrongful death case connected with the loss of a loved one is a distant thought from the immediate grief and suffering following a loss of this nature. As injury lawyers, we are here to help in anyway you require and answer any of your questions.
It is our job to protect your wrongful death claim while you and your family grieve. A claim for wrongful death is designed to help make sure surviving loved ones are provided with the lost wages of the deceased, reimbursement for medical and burial expenses, and other damages associated with the loss. Failure to gather necessary evidence and adhere to to time limitations may result in families being prevented from bringing a claim in the future and therefore victimized twice. A simple call and free consultation will help make sure you are educated on your legal rights and responsibilities. We truly are here to help.