A fatal car accident in Moscow Mills left one woman dead Monday afternoon. The incident occurred as 55 year-old Mary Killion was traveling eastbound on Highway 47 of North Ethylyn Road at approximately 12:42 p.m. She was slowing down to make a left turn when 43 year-old Kreig Ramsour steered his truck to the left to avoid striking Ms. Killion’s vehicle. Ms. Killion steered her vehicle into the path of Ramsour’s truck and both cars traveled off the road causing the truck to flip over. Ms. Killion was confirmed deceased at the scene of the crash. Mr. Ramsour was not injured and it was reported that both individuals were wearing their seat belts.
Missouri Crash Statistics
According to the Missouri Department of Transportation, there were 786 total fatal car crashes in Missouri in 2011. Of those 786, 227 were considered “Vehicle in Transport” crashes. Furthermore, 211 of those crashes occurred in urban areas of Missouri while 505 fatal crashes occurred in rural areas within the state.
The state of Missouri has seen a sharp decrease in the number of death per 100 million miles of vehicle travel since the late 80’s. In 1987, there were approximately 2.4 million deaths per 100 million miles of vehicle travel in the state of Missouri. In 2011, this number has decreased to approximately 1.1 million deaths per 100 million miles of vehicle travel. The state of Missouri has seen an 8 percent decrease in fatal deaths resulting from crashes from 2010 to 2011.
The statistics for 2011 report that one person was killed or injured in a traffic crash every 10.1 minutes in the State of Missouri. Of all the crashes in 2011, 64.2% of them involved one motor vehicle in transport striking another vehicle in transport.
What to Do After a Wrongful Death Crash
Following a fatal car crash of a loved one, you may have a lot of difficult questions that need answering. A common question is: What do I do now?
The following list is a helpful tool that outlines important information you should know following a Missouri wrongful death crash:
- Organizing the Final Arrangements for the Deceased
- This includes funeral plans, burial plans, and anything else related to lying your loved one to rest.
- Speak with your Insurance Agent
- Make sure that you notify your agent of the fatal crash as soon as you are able.
- If the crash was due to the negligence of another driver then you can expect to receive a call from their insurance agent. Make sure that you do NOT give their agent a recorded statement. They may even attempt to offer you a settlement for your loss, but do NOT accept anything without speaking to an experienced wrongful death lawyer.
- Speak with a knowledgeable and experienced wrongful death lawyer
- It is important to contact an attorney who specializes in wrongful death personal injury cases. This is because the attorney has the resources and knowledge to best fight for you in this complex area of the law.
- Make sure that you contact an attorney as soon as you are able. This will provide the attorney time to investigate and evaluate your case so that it can be ensured that you are provided the best representation possible.
Our prayers go out to Ms. Killion’s family and friends who are suffering her loss. A car crash resulting in wrongful death from the negligence of another driver can leave a large burden on those left behind. Medical bills and funeral expenses can add up quickly leaving the deceased’s family wondering where to turn next. It is highly recommended that you contact a Lincoln County wrongful death lawyer to discuss your legal options. A compassionate and knowledgeable personal injury attorney in the field of wrongful death will help discuss your case with you. This way, you are able to discover what route to take next and receive the best representation that you deserve. To speak with a Lincoln County wrongful death lawyer today, call us at 314.409.7060 or toll free at 855.40.CRASH. We look forward to assisting you during this difficult time.